2019 Summer Camp Announcement
1. Introduction of CUHK-Shenzhen and iDDA
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (“University”) is established in March 2014 in accordance with the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Chinese-foreign Cooperation in Running Schools upon approval of the Ministry of Education. The University has inherited the educational philosophy and academic systems of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK ranked 44th in the 2016-2017 QS World University Rankings). CUHK-Shenzhen is intended to evolve into a world-class research university that demonstrates a strong Chinese cultural influence. It is committed to nurturing top-notch talents with a global perspective, Chinese heritage, and a sense of social responsibility. The campus occupies an area of 100 million sq. meter with a beautiful environment and clean air. Currently, the University has around 280 faculties and more than 4300 undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Institute for Data and Decision Analytics (iDDA) was established in March 2018. It focuses on the interdisciplinary research areas of Operations Research, Management Science, Statistics and Optimization, which are embracing the advances and applications of big data, artificial intelligence (A.I.) and machine learning, serving as the foundation of data science, and driving future digital technology growth. At CUHK-Shenzhen, iDDA plays a bridging role between the School of Science and Engineering and the School of Management and Economics, and has work closely with Shenzhen Research Institute of Big Data. Located at China’s Silicon Valley, iDDA also serves as an important bridge between academia and industry. It has built joint labs with Tencent and JD.com and worked closely with research teams in other high-tech companies in the Greater Bay Area.
2. Introduction of Data Science Ph.D. program
This Ph.D. program is designed for exceptionally motivated and mathematically talented students who wish to pursue a higher degree in the interdisciplinary research areas of Data Science, Operations Research and Management, Statistics, Optimization and Machine Learning. Admitted students will have opportunities to work in the professional joint laboratories on machine or artificial intelligence. iDDA aims to produce highly qualified Ph.D. students who will be capable of becoming faculty members at top research universities or working in leading research and development labs in industry.
Faculty team: Currently, iDDA has 8 full-time faculties with rich teaching and research experiences as well as international exposure at top universities in US and Europe. It also has a strong team of fractional and adjunct faculties at CUHK-Shenzhen and from overseas universities. In addition to our own faculties, students are also encouraged to communicate and study with first-class scholars all over the world during the regular seminars, short courses and workshops hosted by iDDA.
3. Introduction of the summer camp
- Who: Prospective Ph.D. students to be enrolled in Fall 2020. We strongly encourage current senior undergraduate or master students who are highly motivated and passionate towards scientific research and equipped with solid mathematical and quantitative skills to apply.
- Where: CUHK-Shenzhen Campus, Shenzhen, China
- When: July 29-30, 2019
- What: In this two-day camp, together with our partners within CUHK-Shenzhen and members from the industry, we will present ample research and study opportunities that are available at iDDA. Events include tutorials on cutting-edge research works conducted by iDDA teams, open discussions with iDDA faculties and current Ph.D. students, a campus tour and a trip to iDDA’s joint labs with high-tech companies in Shenzhen.
- Language: English
- Students who attended the summer camp will be given priority in admission. A small number of outstanding students attending the summer camp may receive early admissions and fellowship offers by October 2019.
4. Application and Admission
- We plan to host 30 students.
- How to apply: Prepare all the materials in English and send the package to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Cover letter
3) Personal statement
4) TWO Recommendation letters(Could in Chinese or English)
5) An official transcript
6) English Proficiency: TOEFL/IELTS/CET-6
7) Other materials
8) Photocopy of national ID and student ID
- Application Deadline: May 20, 2019
- Decision Notification: June 21, 2019
- Travel and Accommodation:
- There is no registration fee for this program. The program will cover: meals, all events and trips organized by iDDA, and a free entry to optimization workshop to be held on July 30- August 2, 2019.
- Airfare and local transportation to/from the school will be borne by students.
- On-campus hotel/dorm will be reserved by iDDA under hotel rates on a first come first serve basis; if on-campus hotel is fully booked, other options will be provided. Students need to pay the expense when check-in.
5. Contact Us
- Officer: Kilo Liao
- Tel: 0755-2351-7026 (Mon. - Fri., 9 am - 5 pm)
- Email: email@example.com.